Learning how to get rid of double chin will do wonders in boosting your confidence and enhancing your health. Although having fat in the submental area or the region under your chin is natural, many people aim to eliminate it for a more defined look. Therefore, it helps you acquire a leaner and more youthful appearance. If you wish to avoid expensive double chin surgery costs, there are effective exercises that target your face, neck, and jaw muscles. Pairing these with healthy habits can also help speed up your goal.
Definition and Causes
What is a Double Chin?
A double chin pertains to the extra fat or sagging skin under the chin or the platysma muscle region. It can also be referred to as a twin chin or submental fat. With this extra layer of fat or loose skin, a person’s chin looks as if it is doubled—thus, its name.
What Causes a Double Chin?
Contrary to common belief, heavyweight or improper diet are not the only causes of a double chin. Other factors play a role in the onset of this condition which includes:
- Genetics: People with a history of sagging skin or chin muscle amongst family members could develop submental fat. Similarly, those who typically gain fat quickly are more likely to acquire it.
- Age: As we get older, our skin loses its elasticity and could contribute to the appearance of a saggier chin.
- Weight Gain: This is the most prevalent factor that causes submental fat. With more fat in the body, excess fat will also accumulate in the submental region.
- Weight Fluctuations: When one constantly gains and loses fat, the skin gets less firm if it tends to contract and expand periodically.
- Lack of Exercise: When we don’t exercise the muscles under the chin and neck, they could grow weak and less toned. Similarly, lack of exercise would mean less burning of fat in the area—causing the onset of more submental fat.
How to Get Rid of Double Chin: 6 Effective Exercises
As sure as glute exercises can help you grow a bigger booty, you can also effectively build leaner facial muscles and appearance with double chin exercises. Targeting the skin and muscles in the submental area is key to a slimmer and more youthful look.
1. Lip Pucker
This exercise for double chin is as effective as it is amusing. It can help you get rid of neck fat and stretch your muscles in the submental area. Here’s how to do it.
- Start with your muscles relaxed as you’re facing straight ahead.
- Next, tilt your head backward in slow motion. Stop tilting when your face is parallel to the ceiling. Maintain this position and start puckering your lips upwards. Keep puckering for at least 5 seconds
- Relax your muscles and bring your head back to the initial position. Do 4 more repetitions and make sure that you feel the tension in the submental area. This is a sign that you’re doing the exercise properly.
2. Tongue to Nose Reach
Sometimes, ways on how to get rid of double chin can literally make you look silly. As goofy as your face might appear, the tongue to nose reach will do wonders in activating and slimming down your neck and face muscles. Here’s how to do it.
- For the initial position, simply relax your face and make sure you’re looking straight.
- Then, stick out your tongue as far as you possibly can. With your tongue stretched out, slowly stretch it towards your nose in an upward direction.
- Hold the last position for 10 to 15 seconds and finally relax your tongue and face. Repeat the steps at least 5 consecutive times.
3. Chewing Gum Exercise
Who would have thought a double chin exercise can be so delicious? Gum chewing serves as a great routine on how to get rid of chin fat and strengthen the jaw. It could also make your face look slimmer. Here’s how to do it.
- Make sure that you use sugar-free gum to avoid risking your dental and overall health.
- Repeatedly chew gum and feel your neck and face muscles straining.
- Since gum-chewing can be quite strenuous, you may do this once a day for a couple of minutes. You can also perform this as you do other errands or home workouts, saving more time and energy.
4. Upward Neck Reach
When it comes to tips on how to lose neck fat, you should make sure that you’re targeting the muscles on the submental area. Notably, the upward neck reach does just that. It also offers convenience since it can be done during quick breaks or as part of your morning stretch routine. Here’s how to do it.
- Tilt your head back until you’re facing the ceiling. Make sure your neck is stretched out.
- With the previous pose maintained, start pressing down your tongue on your palate.
- Hold the position for 7 to 10 seconds then release. Then, repeat the steps 4 more times or as often as you wish.
5. Lip Stretch Smile
This could serve as your motivation to smile throughout the day. Indeed, the lip stretch smile tip on how to get rid of double chin will make you look and feel more youthful. Here’s how to do it.
- Start by smiling as you normally do. Make sure that you do this gradually so you’ll be able to activate your muscles well.
- Next, keep extending your smile until you feel your muscles stretched out completely. Once you’ve reached maximum stretch, hold it for 3 seconds then release.
- Repeat the steps at least 5 times. You can add more repetitions over time for best results, as well.
6. Mouth Scoop Motion
The mouth scoop motion can help you cut out extra submental fat. It’s quite easy to do but certainly still effective. Here’s how to do it.
- Start by slowly opening your mouth. Then, place your bottom lip gradually on top of your lower incisors. This action will noticeably bring your lower jaw backward.
- Proceed with a scooping motion as you shift your head downward. Then, tilt your head up while keeping your mouth closed.
- Return to the initial position and repeat 4 more times.
How Do You Lose Face Fat Naturally?
Drinks and Supplements
In terms of natural ways on how to lose face fat, you could try out drinks and supplements that can support your exercise and diet efforts. These could help improve your skin’s nourishment and help you avoid getting a double chin.
- Lemon Honey Drink: Together, lemon and honey will do wonders in burning fat in your face, jaw, and other parts of your body. Simply add a tablespoon of honey and lemon juice to a cup of warm water.
- Green Tea: Drinking a glass of green tea daily will keep your skin and overall health in check. It keeps skin looking tight, nourished, and youthful.
- Vitamin E Supplements: Taking vitamin E supplements to really nourish your skin from the inside will help retain your skin’s moisture and keep it from sagging out.
Oils do wonders in our skin when massaged in target areas. Aside from stimulating the pressure points, massaging with specific oils provides vitamins that keep the skin looking healthy and glowing.
- Olive Oil: Olive oil serves as a great natural remedy for chin fat removal. It has antioxidants that keep your skin safe from free radicals and tissue damage. It also has a vitamin E component that keeps your skin moisturized and tight—helping avoid sagginess and fat retention under the chin. Generously apply it to your neck and jaw before massaging these body parts.
- Almond Oil: As a substitute for face or chin massages, you may also use almond oil which is rich in vitamin B6 and vitamin E. These nutrients help prolong the skin’s natural glow and elasticity.
- Wheat Germ Oil: This is a great skin-tightening oil that prevents skin and submental fat from sagging. To use, simply apply and massage it on your chin and keep it soaked overnight.
When paired with healthy lifestyle habits, facial masks can support your efforts in having a toned face and chin. They can make your neck muscles leaner and prevent fat accumulation in the submental area, as well.
- Glycerin: With its skin-elasticity benefits, glycerin can surely help you say goodbye to loose skin. It will also keep your skin moisturized and healthy, making you look even more youthful and glowing. Simply dilute a tablespoon of glycerin with water and apply it on your chin, neck, and face. Then, rinse it off after 10 to 15 minutes.
- Clay Mask: This helps your skin from sagging and looking dull. Use it at least once a week.
- Egg White Mask: Egg whites are great for keeping your skin intact. Mix it with honey or lemon, then apply it to your neck, jaw, and face. Keep the mask on your skin for approximately 20 minutes then rinse.
How to Get Rid of Double Chin: Other Tips and Methods
Aside from a regular double chin workout, there are also other methods that will not only help you reduce the stubborn fat under your chin, they could also help you build confidence and maintain a healthy lifestyle.
Not having enough sleep increases your stress levels and disrupts your body’s circadian cycle. These factors could contribute to weight gain and as a result, the onset of a double chin. So, make sure to get enough and proper sleep every night. Setting a specific time for shut-eye will do wonders in maintaining a consistent sleeping schedule and acquiring enough hours of rest.
Among the best ways on how to get rid of fat under the chin or fat anywhere in your body is by maintaining a healthy and balanced diet. Follow these diet tips for maximum results:
- Opt for healthy fat sources such as salmon and avocado
- Regularly eat fruits and vegetables
- Go for healthy protein alternatives such as tofu and tempeh
- Control intake of processed foods, canned goods, and microwavable meals
- Avoid sugary food and drinks
- Cut down sodium intake since it contributes to face bloating
- Practice healthy cooking methods such as boiling or steaming instead of deep-frying your food
When it comes to working out, you don’t necessarily have to settle for chin, neck, or jaw exercises. You must also incorporate regular exercise that could help you lose weight fast and maintain a healthy body. Some of the best fat-burning exercises include:
Lymphatic Drainage Massage
When it comes to ways on how to lose weight in your face, you don’t always have to splurge out on expensive products or facials. For one, you can try home remedies such as a lymphatic drainage massage. Performing this massage at least twice a week will help increase blood flow and reduce face bloatedness—helping reduce the appearance of a twin chin.
Do the following steps to carry out the massage properly and acquire its benefits:
- Gradually tilt your head so that you can reach your neck well. Then, massage the neck’s center base to the middle part of your chin in down-to-up strokes. Make sure that each stroke is quick and has enough pressure.
- With the same upward technique, proceed to massage your neck’s right area to your jaw line’s right side. Do this on the left-side neck and jawline of your face, as well.
- Form a V with your fingers by placing the knuckles of your middle finger on the jawline and the index finger below it. Simultaneously stroke your chin to your ear lobes with your knuckles and proceed with massaging your neck’s base, as well.
- Repeat these steps at least five times per massage session.
Non-Invasive Cosmetic Procedures
If you wish to opt for an efficient double chin reduction method, you may always try out non-surgical cosmetic procedures. These will help tone chin muscles or reduce submental fat. You can try these cosmetic treatments that can get rid of your twin chin effectively:
- Kybella Injection: This mesotherapy procedure aims to rejuvenate and improve skin conditions by injecting deoxycholic acid, known for its brand name, Kybella. With this, you can effectively dissolve your chin’s fat cells and thin down its skin.
- CoolSculpting: Also referred to as cryolipolysis, CoolSculpting works by cooling or freezing fat cells which would then break them down. This body contouring process gradually lessens the prominence of submental fat in around a month or more.
- Laser Treatment: While some people refer to this as laser surgery, it is actually a non-invasive form of cosmetic procedure. The treatment simply utilizes a laser to melt down the fat and as a result, helps tone the neck and jaw.
Among the easiest and quickest methods on how to get rid of double chin would definitely be surgery. Of course, it is also the most costly and risky. Some surgical treatments that can eliminate submental fat include:
- Chin Liposuction (Fat Suction Removal)
- Platysmaplasty (Neck-Lift)
- Rhytidectomy (Face-Lift)
The Most Effective Way on How to Get Rid of Double Chin
Whether it’s in the form of an intensive workout or a professional double chin treatment, the most effective way on how to lose chin fat will depend on discipline and practicing a healthy lifestyle. Keep in mind that having a double chin cannot be completely stopped as it is still a natural part of our bodies. Still, you can always reduce or control its growth—making you feel more confident and healthier in every way.