We all have our own bucket list, whether you want to climb the world’s highest mountain, travel to the moon, or swim in the Mediterranean Sea. Many of us dream to live out certain experiences in our lifetime. Having a bucket list helps give your life more direction, as it provides goals to work towards.
But what exactly is a bucket list? And why is it called such, anyway?
What Is A Bucket List?
Simply put, a bucket list is a list of things to accomplish before one’s death. It is a set of dreams, aspirations, and life experiences that you’d like to achieve in your life before passing. Those aspirations help keep you going and motivate you to work hard towards turning such dreams into realities.
The term originates from the phrase “kick the bucket,” something synonymous to saying “to die.” Hence, a bucket list contains a list of items you’d like to do before you die.
How to Make a Bucket List
These are some steps to consider when going about writing your own list:
- Allow your mind to freely dream about anything that interests you. Ensure you put down every idea that piques your interest, no matter how far-fetched it might seem. The sky’s the limit with this one, so don’t hold back.
- Look at all the items you have written in your list and break them into time, seasons, and even locations. This will give you a more organized timeframe to pursue certain items on your list.
- Upon making a list, choose certain items you consider to be the most feasible. Begin making viable plans to work towards checking off those items. Take note that you don’t have to be extravagant with your picks. Start small and work from there.
- Alternatively, determine which items are your biggest priorities and move them to the top of the list. This might work better if you’re someone who prefer to work with more long-term goals.
- Go for a theme. Create a list of things to accomplish before a certain age, or write down a list of goals surrounding a particular interest of yours. You might be able to come up with more ideas if you take a thematic approach.
- Be flexible with your list. Keep adding items as you go along, or remove any previous entries as you see fit. You might find a shift in priorities as time passes, so remember that not everything you write down is set in stone.
Bucket List Ideas
So the idea of having your own bucket list excites you — but where do you even start? Don’t worry, we’ve got you covered. Here are some bucket list ideas to help you get the ball rolling.
1. Travel Plans
Traveling is a great way to learn about other countries and cultures. It gives you an opportunity to experience what the world has to offer and see how other people live their lives Here are some ways of how you can tailor your bucket list with great travel agendas:
- visit some of the Seven Wonders of the World
- hike through the Himalayas
- swim in the Mediterranean Sea
- spend time in some exciting global cities, like Tokyo, Rome, or London
- see the Eiffel Tower in France
2. Skydiving Ideas
Skydiving is an exhilarating life experience that many adrenaline junkies seek out. There are different approaches to how you can enjoy skydiving. If you want something different from your regular skydiving activities, here are some fun variations to try out:
- tandem skydiving
- a beach landing
- costume jump
- a balloon jump
- try a night jump
3. Vacation Ideas
Taking a vacation is more than just going on another trip. It’s an opportunity to relax and re-focus on yourself. Vacations can be fun experiences, and for some, they’re a chance check off certain items on your bucket list. Here are some ideas you can try for yourself:
- celebrate a holiday in a different country
- sleep in a capsule hotel
- stay in an underwater hotel
- spend time at Walt Disney World
- take a break from reality by making a solo trip to your favorite place
4. A Bucket List For Couples
Bucket lists don’t always have to be done alone. They can be accomplished with a partner or significant other. Having someone with you to accomplish your goals can make your bucket list ideas even more special. Having touch of romance can even make things more exciting and memorable. Some goals you might want to try with someone else can include the following:
- recreate your first date
- visit each other’s hometowns
- take a trip to a new city together
- sleep under the stars
- attend a concert together
5. A Bucket List For Personal Relationships
It’s essential to build and nurture relationships with the important people in your life. These ideas may sound simple, but for people who struggle with sustaining interpersonal relationships, they can be the ultimate gems in connecting with others. Some of these ideas may be more long-term in nature than others, but that’s what makes bucket lists so special. They can be a complex or as straightforward as you’d like. The only real ‘deadline’ you have is the end of your life.
- go on a blind date
- plan and host a big family reunion
- become a parent
- reconnect with your high school best friend
- fall in love
6. Entertainment Goals
Everyone needs entertainment at some point in life. It is a way of relaxing, relieving stress, and unwinding. Recreation is an integral part of life, and for some, they take the center stage in life goals. Here are some entertainment-themed ideas to add to your bucket list:
- be on a reality television show
- go for a film premiere
- be in the newspaper
- act in a movie
- see your favorite game live
7. Career Goals
It is essential to set goals for your career fulfillment. Having a bucket list for your career goals can be crucial in mapping out your future and can help you make the necessary steps in fostering your professional life. Here are some ideas for such an important bucket list.
- get a promotion
- become an expert in your field
- travel for a conference
- mentor a coworker that has lesser experience
- start a side hustle or turn your side hustle to a full-time venture
8. Nature and Wildlife Bucket List
Tailor your bucket list to the great outdoors. This is a great way to enjoy and appreciate the beauty of Mother Nature. Here are some ideas to get you started on this kind of list:
- feed an ostrich
- see a solar eclipse
- sleep in an igloo
- see an aurora borealis
- swim with dolphins
9. Health and Wellness Bucket List
Set wellness and health goals to ensure you live a long and healthy life. After all, leading a healthy lifestyle can give you more time to check off more items on your bucket lists. Here are some wellness ideas to add to your bucket list:
- remove processed foods from your diet completely
- achieve your best body weight
- go vegetarian for a whole month
- do a one-week detoxification or fast
- get rid of a bad habit, such as smoking or drinking
10. Creativity Bucket List
Everyone is creative in their own little ways. Elevate your own creativity with these goals that you can include in your bucket list. Not only is having a creative outlet an excellent way of expressing yourself, it’s also great for healing and de-stressing. Take your sense of creativity to another level with these bucket list ideas:
- make a calendar with your photos
- make your own clothes
- have your nude body painted by an artist
- write a song
- direct a movie
11. Fashion and Beauty Bucket List
Another way you can express yourself is through fashion and beauty. These avenues can bring out self-confidence and empowerment. Moreover, they can help push your creativity to the next level. Include some fashion and beauty goals in your bucket list to see for yourself just how much personal and creative growth it can bring you. Here are some ideas to help you get started:
- have a professional photoshoot
- model for a fashion show
- dye your hair a crazy color
- go a month without makeup — or, try an outrageous makeup look
- invest in your dream fashion item
12. Transportation Goals
Some people dream of learning how to drive. Others can take it to the next level with bucket list ideas that fulfill their need to travel through more unconventional methods.
- drive a race car
- fly in a private jet
- ride a helicopter
- ride a horse
- drive a speedboat
13. Sports and Games Bucket List
Sports aficionados dream of attending a multitude of sports events. They can be very passionate about such matters, which makes bucket lists perfect companions for them as they work towards living out their dreams.
- attend the Olympics
- complete a marathon
- watch a Formula One race live
- learn how to surf
- attend a professional football tournament
14. Financial Goals
Financial goals are great to have in your bucket list as they provide you with ideas that can help secure a good future for yourself. It’s always important to be responsible with your finances, so list down some of these ideas to help you make the most out of your funds.
- start and build an emergency fund
- start your own business
- become a millionaire
- join the stock market
- invest in some property
15. Personal Development Goals
Striving towards self-development is one of the best decisions you can make for yourself. Having a bucket list for such goals can enrich your life and help you grow as a person. Become a better version of yourself with these personal development ideas:
- make consistent donations to a charity
- learn and master a new language
- work towards earning a new degree
- join a peaceful protest
- help someone achieve one of their life’s dreams
All in all, you really can’t go wrong with having a bucket list of your own. Bucket lists help push you to pursue your dreams and live your life to the fullest. So, go out there and get started with your own list. No dream is impossible when you have the passion for it. Carpe diem!