10 Best Audible Originals for 2023In the world of audiobooks and storytelling, Audible Originals have become a popular choice for avid listeners seeking unique and captivating content. As we enter the year 2023, the demand for exceptional audio experiences is higher than ever. With an increasing range of genres and diverse narratives, Audible has curated a collection of remarkable Originals that are set to captivate listeners in the coming year. From thrilling mysteries and thought-provoking memoirs to gripping science fiction and heartwarming romances, the 10 Best Audible Originals for 2023 promise to transport listeners to captivating worlds and leave them craving for more.
Overall Score: 8.5/10
The Sandman is an audio adaptation of Neil Gaiman's comic book series that brings the story to life with a full cast. Featuring high-quality audio, voice actors, and sound effects, this dark and suspenseful masterpiece captures the tone of the original comics perfectly. Narrated by Neil Gaiman himself and with performances by James McAvoy, Riz Ahmed, Kat Dennings, and more, the adaptation is a treat for fans looking to rediscover the series. However, some details may be lost in translation for those who are not familiar with the comic book medium. Overall, The Sandman is a totally immersive experience that is perfect for fans of Neil Gaiman and the Halloween season.
- Audio adaptation of Neil Gaiman's comic book series
- Full cast with performances by Neil Gaiman, James Mc Avoy, and more
- High-quality audio, voice actors, and sound effects
- Captures the tone of the original comics perfectly
- Perfect for fans of Neil Gaiman and the Halloween season
- High-quality audio and voice actors
- Captures the tone of the original comics
- Performed by Neil Gaiman and a talented cast
- Perfect for fans of Neil Gaiman and the Halloween season
- Some details may be lost in translation for those unfamiliar with the comics
- Episodic nature may not be suitable for all listeners
- Not suitable for the squeamish
The Sandman is a gripping audio adaptation that brings Neil Gaiman’s dark and suspenseful comic book series to life. With high-quality audio, a talented cast, and captivating storytelling, it captures the essence of the original comics. While some details may be lost for those unfamiliar with the medium, it is a must-listen for fans of Neil Gaiman and the Halloween season. Whether you’re already a fan of the series or new to the world of The Sandman, this immersive experience will transport you to a world of imagination and leave you wanting more. Get ready to be captivated by the haunting tale of Dream and the Endless.
Overall Score: 7.5/10
The Coldest Case: A Black Book Audio Drama is an audio book production featuring a full cast and sound effects. It follows the story of a family of detectives and includes unexpected twists. The narration is highly praised for being some of the best ever heard. While some feel that the format is too similar to a TV show, others appreciate the added depth it brings to the book. The audio drama is well put together, although there are a few instances of background noises causing confusion. Aaron Paul's performance is particularly lauded. Overall, it offers an entertaining experience for fans of mystery thrillers.
- Full cast and sound effects enhance the storytelling
- Highly praised narration by Aaron Paul
- Surprising twists keep the story engaging
- Format may feel too similar to a TV show
- Some instances of background noises causing confusion
- Implausible story for some readers
The Coldest Case: A Black Book Audio Drama offers a unique audio book experience with its full cast and sound effects. Fans of mystery thrillers will enjoy the surprising twists and the engaging narration by Aaron Paul. While some may find the format too reminiscent of a TV show and there are occasional instances of confusion due to background noises, overall it delivers an entertaining ride. It may not be for everyone, but for those looking for a thrilling audio drama, The Coldest Case is worth a listen.
Overall Score: 7/10
Carnival Row: Tangle in the Dark is an audiobook prequel to the popular TV series. It delves into the backstory of two main characters, Tourmaline and Vignette, exploring their past and providing important narrative context. With good audio quality and a captivating performance by narrator Karla Crome, the audiobook adds depth and dimension to the world of Carnival Row. However, the story falls a bit short in terms of its overall length and the character development feels somewhat inconsistent. Some may find certain sections boring and the circular structure can be confusing. Nevertheless, for fans of the show, this audiobook offers an enjoyable and insightful addition to the Carnival Row universe.
- Good audio which made the story very interesting
- Compelling stories and fantastic characters
- Gives important backstory
- Fantastic performance by Karla Crome
- Story is too short for the scope it tries to encompass
- Awkward and boring at times
- Circular structure causes confusion
Carnival Row: Tangle in the Dark is a worthwhile listen for fans of the TV series who crave more backstory and context. The audiobook provides a deeper understanding of the characters and the world they inhabit, with an excellent performance by Karla Crome. While the story may feel short and the circular structure can be confusing, overall, it adds to the immersive experience of Carnival Row. It’s a recommended listen for those who want to further explore the enchanting and gritty universe of the show.
Overall Score: 9/10
One Little Mistake: A Novella is an engaging and suspenseful audiobook by Lucinda Berry. The story follows Alexis, a mother who finds herself in a troubling situation after being charged with driving under the influence and child endangerment. As she struggles to clear her name, dark and shocking events unfold that keep listeners on the edge of their seats. With its clever plot twists and compelling characters, this novella hooks readers from start to finish. The narration is excellent, and the pacing keeps the story moving at a brisk pace. While some readers may wish for a longer story, the concise nature of the novella allows for a quick and satisfying listen.
- Engaging and suspenseful storyline
- Clever plot twists that keep readers hooked
- Excellent narration and pacing
- Quick and satisfying listen
- Short length may leave some readers wanting more
One Little Mistake: A Novella is a gripping and well-crafted audiobook that delivers suspense and surprises in a concise format. Lucinda Berry’s storytelling keeps readers engaged from beginning to end, and the excellent narration enhances the overall experience. While the novella’s brevity may leave some readers craving for more, the quick-paced plot and compelling characters make it a satisfying listen. Fans of Lucinda Berry and those who enjoy suspenseful stories with unexpected twists will certainly enjoy this novella. Overall, One Little Mistake: A Novella is a standout work that showcases Berry’s talent for crafting gripping psychological thrillers.
Overall Score: 7/10
Little Women: An Audible Original Drama is an adaptation of Louisa May Alcott's beloved classic. This Audible production features a full cast of talented actors, lively sound effects, and dramatic narration. While some listeners found the voices a bit over-dramatized, others appreciated the immersive experience reminiscent of old-fashioned radio shows. The story stays true to the original, captivating listeners with its liveliness and distinct character voices. However, it should be noted that this is not the unabridged version of Alcott's novel, so some customers were disappointed. Overall, Little Women: An Audible Original Drama offers a unique way to enjoy this timeless tale.
- Full cast of talented actors
- Lively sound effects
- Dramatic narration
- Immersive experience
- Distinct character voices
- Captivating storytelling
- Not the unabridged version
- Some voices are over-dramatized
Little Women: An Audible Original Drama brings a fresh twist to Louisa May Alcott’s classic story. While it may not be the unabridged version, the immersive experience, talented cast, and captivating storytelling make it a worthwhile listen. Whether you’re a fan of the original novel or a newcomer to the world of Little Women, this Audible production offers an enjoyable and engaging way to experience the beloved tale. Just be aware that it is an adaptation and not the complete unabridged text. So, gather around, put on your headphones, and let the drama unfold as the March sisters’ story comes to life in your ears.
Overall Score: 8/10
Experience a thrilling winter survival adventure in Impact Winter Season 2. This highly anticipated sequel takes you on a journey where you must navigate through a frozen wasteland and use your wit and resources to survive. With realistic graphics and immersive gameplay, this game offers an unparalleled gaming experience. Assemble a team, manage scarce resources, and make difficult decisions to reach your ultimate goal of rescue. Shelter building, threat management, and character development are the key features of this game. Get ready to face extreme challenges and test your survival skills in Impact Winter Season 2.
- Shelter building
- Threat management
- Character development
- Realistic graphics
- Immersive gameplay
- Challenging and intense survival experience
- Lack of detailed specifications
- Limited multiplayer options
Impact Winter Season 2 is a must-have for fans of survival games. The game offers a thrilling winter survival experience with realistic graphics and intense gameplay. The emphasis on shelter building, threat management, and character development adds depth to the gameplay, making it engaging and challenging. However, the lack of detailed specifications and limited multiplayer options may be a drawback for some players. Overall, Impact Winter Season 2 delivers an immersive and suspenseful gaming experience that is worth exploring.
Overall Score: 7/10
Alien III: An Audible Original Drama presents a true sequel to the Alien franchise, exploring the why and how of the Xenomorph. Although it felt unfinished and rushed, this audio drama delves into the unanswered questions left by the original films. The story takes place after the events of "Aliens" and introduces a treaty among colonies. While the absence of Ripley was disappointing, the performances of the original actors bring a nostalgic feel. The pros include a better storyline than the actual Alien 3 movie and the immersive audio experience. On the downside, some may find the story lacking compared to the original post-Aliens comics. Overall, if you're a fan of the Alien franchise or simply curious, this audio drama is a great choice.
- Offers a true sequel exploring the why and how of the Xenomorph
- Storyline is better than the actual Alien 3 movie
- Original movie actors deliver nostalgic performances
- Immersive audio experience
- Felt unfinished and rushed
- Absence of Ripley might disappoint some fans
- Lacks the depth of the original post-Aliens comics
Alien III: An Audible Original Drama presents an alternative storyline that could have been the better version of Alien 3. Although there are flaws such as feeling unfinished and lacking the depth of the original comics, the audio drama offers an immersive experience and a more satisfying storyline than the actual movie. Fans of the Alien franchise and those curious about exploring the why and how of the Xenomorph will find this audio drama to be a great addition to their collection. Overall, while not perfect, Alien III: An Audible Original Drama is a worthwhile listen for any Alien enthusiast.
Overall Score: 5.8/10
Embark on a thrilling murder mystery adventure with 'Murder in Bermuda'. This interactive audiobook provides an immersive experience where you make choices that influence the outcome of the story. The plot revolves around solving a murder case on the mysterious island of Bermuda. With engaging storytelling and multiple possible endings, it guarantees an unpredictable experience with each playthrough. The voices of the characters are brought to life by skilled narrators, further enhancing the immersion. Whether you're a fan of mysteries or simply enjoy interactive storytelling, 'Murder in Bermuda' offers an entertaining experience.
- Interactive murder mystery audiobook
- Multiple possible endings
- Engaging storytelling
- Immersive experience
- Skillfully narrated voices
- Offers a thrilling murder mystery adventure
- Provides an immersive and interactive experience
- Engaging storytelling keeps you hooked
- Multiple possible endings for replayability
- Skilled narrators bring the characters to life
- Unlikable characters and little plot development
- Short length may not satisfy some users
- Voices of the characters sound similar
- Poor reading and monotone delivery at times
With ‘Murder in Bermuda’, you’ll be captivated by the exciting world of a murder mystery. The immersive and interactive experience, along with engaging storytelling, keeps you engaged throughout the adventure. The multiple possible endings add replay value, allowing you to uncover different outcomes with each playthrough. Despite some drawbacks, such as unlikable characters and a short length, the skilled narrators effectively breathe life into the voices of the characters. If you’re a fan of mysteries and enjoy interactive storytelling, this murder mystery audiobook is worth exploring.
Overall Score: 8/10
The Disappearance of Emily Downs is a thrilling Middle Grade mystery that captivates readers with its spooky atmosphere and engaging storyline. Centered around Joey, the main character, and her friends, the story takes place in a fenced-in town with a dark secret. As they uncover the mysteries of the dangers lurking beyond the fence, readers are hooked by the suspense and eerie vibes reminiscent of movies like The Village. While the ending leaves some questions unanswered, it sets the stage for future installments in the series. The book is suitable for older middle grade readers who enjoy action-packed and spine-chilling adventures. With its captivating narrative and relatable characters, The Disappearance of Emily Downs is a great choice for young readers looking for a thrilling and enjoyable read.
- Spooky and engaging Middle Grade mystery
- Suspenseful storyline in a fenced-in town
- Relatable characters and friendships
- Suitable for older middle grade readers
- Action-packed and spine-chilling adventure
- Gripping storyline that keeps readers hooked
- Well-written with vivid visual imagery
- Captures the eerie and creepy atmosphere effectively
- Ending lacks some resolution
- Leaves unanswered questions
The Disappearance of Emily Downs is a thrilling Middle Grade mystery that successfully delivers an engaging and spooky reading experience. While younger readers may need to exercise caution due to the presence of action and gore, the story’s relatable characters and gripping narrative make it a worthwhile read for older middle grade readers. The book captures the eerie atmosphere effectively and keeps readers hooked with its suspenseful storyline. Although the ending may leave some questions unanswered, it sets the stage for future installments in the series, leaving readers eager for more. Overall, The Disappearance of Emily Downs is a highly recommended choice for young readers who enjoy action-packed and spine-chilling adventures.
Overall Score: 8/10
The Sisters is a prequel short story to the Cormac Reilly series by Dervla McTiernan. It follows Carrie Ryan, a young female cop, and her sister Aifric, a junior lawyer, as they team up to solve a murder case. The story delves into the challenges they face in a male-dominated profession and showcases their determination to uncover the truth. With compelling characters and an intriguing plot, The Sisters keeps readers engaged from start to finish.
- Prequel to the Cormac Reilly series
- Strong female protagonists
- Murder mystery
- Exploration of gender dynamics in law enforcement
- Compelling storyline
- Well-developed main characters
- Engaging narration by Aoife Mc Mahon
- Interesting exploration of gender dynamics
- Fast-paced and gripping plot
- Story could have been more fleshed out
- Abrupt ending
- Limited depth in the plot
The Sisters is a solid prequel short story that provides insight into the early days of Carrie Ryan’s career. While it could have benefited from further development, it still manages to captivate with its strong characters and exploration of gender inequality in law enforcement. Dervla McTiernan’s writing keeps readers hooked, and the narration by Aoife McMahon adds an extra layer of immersion. Although the story is relatively short, it offers a satisfying read for fans of the Cormac Reilly series or anyone interested in crime fiction. Overall, The Sisters is a worthy addition to McTiernan’s compelling series.
Buyer's Guide: Audible Originals
Are you a fan of audiobooks and looking for unique, exclusive content to enhance your listening experience? Look no further! In this buyer's guide, we will dive into the world of Audible Originals and provide you with all the information you need to make an informed decision. So, grab a cup of coffee, sit back, and let's explore the wonderful realm of Audible Originals.
What are Audible Originals?
Audible Originals are exclusive audio titles produced by Audible, offering a wide range of content across various genres. From captivating audiobook adaptations and scripted dramas to original podcasts and documentaries, Audible Originals provide a vast selection of unique and high-quality content you won't find anywhere else.
Why should I consider Audible Originals?
- Uniqueness: Audible Originals offer an original listening experience, allowing you to access content that isn't available on other platforms.
- Variety: With Audible Originals, you can explore a wide range of genres and formats, including fiction, non-fiction, dramas, and more, catering to diverse tastes.
- Talent: These exclusive titles often feature renowned narrators, celebrities, and influential voices, adding a special touch to your listening experience.
- New Releases: Audible frequently releases new Original titles, ensuring you always have fresh content to enjoy.
- Complimentary with Membership: As an Audible member, you receive a monthly credit that can be used to download any audiobook, including Audible Originals, at no additional cost.
How do I access Audible Originals?
To access Audible Originals, follow these steps:
- Create an Audible Account: If you don't have an Audible account, head to their website and create one. You may choose between a free trial or a paid membership, depending on your preferences.
- Browse Audible Originals: Once you have an account, search for "Audible Originals" in the Audible library or navigate to the "Audible Originals" section on their website or app.
- Choose your Selection: Explore the wide variety of Audible Originals available and select the ones that catch your interest. Read the descriptions and listen to samples to determine which titles suit your preferences.
- Add to Your Library: After selecting an Audible Original, click on the "Add to Library" or "Buy Now" button to add it to your personal library.
- Listen: Access your library and start listening to Audible Originals on your preferred device. Enjoy the unique audio experience!
How much do Audible Originals cost?
The cost of Audible Originals varies depending on your Audible membership. Here are a few important points to consider:
- Audible Membership: With a paid Audible membership, you receive one credit per month that can be used to download any audiobook, including Audible Originals, at no additional cost.
- Free Trial: During the free trial period, you can also use your trial credit to access Audible Originals without any extra charge.
- A La Carte Purchases: If you prefer not to be an Audible member, you can still purchase Audible Original titles individually at their listed price.
How do I cancel my Audible Originals subscription?
If you wish to cancel your Audible membership or subscription, you can follow these steps:
- Log in to your Account: Visit the Audible website and log in to your account using your credentials.
- Navigate to "Account Details": Find the "Account Details" section, usually located in the top right corner of the website.
- Manage Membership: Under the "Account Details" section, choose the "Membership Details" or "Manage Membership" option.
- Cancellation Process: Follow the prompts to cancel your Audible membership. Ensure you read any important messages and instructions during this process.
- Confirmation: Once you've completed the cancellation process, you should receive a confirmation email notifying you of the cancellation.
Frequently Asked Questions about 10 Best Audible Originals for 2023
Yes, Audible Originals are available to customers worldwide. However, the availability of specific titles may vary based on region.
Absolutely! Any Audible Originals you’ve purchased or downloaded with your membership credits are yours to keep, even if you cancel your membership.
Yes, Audible Originals feature content in various languages, reflecting the multicultural nature of the platform.
Audible frequently releases new Original titles, usually on a monthly basis, ensuring subscribers have a steady stream of fresh content to enjoy.
Yes, you have the option to download Audible Originals to your device for offline listening, allowing you to enjoy your favorite content without an internet connection.