Damar Hamlin Mic’d Up In First Game Back Since Cardiac Arrest: Emotions Run High


In an emotional return to the field, Damar Hamlin, Buffalo Bills safety, made his first regular season appearance since experiencing a cardiac arrest during a game in January. Microphones captured heartfelt conversations between Hamlin, his teammates, opposing players, and the man he credits with saving his life.

Key Takeaway

Damar Hamlin, Buffalo Bills safety, made a triumphant return to the field after suffering a cardiac arrest in January. Microphones captured emotional conversations with his teammates, opposing players, and the man he credits with saving his life. Hamlin’s resilience and determination were on full display as he emphasized the love and gratitude he felt towards those who supported him throughout his journey.

A Journey of Resilience and Triumph

After nine long months of recovery and perseverance, Hamlin stepped onto the field to face the Miami Dolphins on Sunday. The weight of the life-altering moment he endured during that fateful Monday Night Football game loomed in his mind, along with the incredible journey he had taken to regain his playing condition.

Prior to kickoff, Hamlin shared a touching moment with Bills trainer Denny Kellington. “Have fun today, brother,” Kellington told him. In response, Hamlin professed his love and gratitude, saying, “Love you, Denny.” It was Kellington who performed CPR on Hamlin when he collapsed on the field in January. Hamlin later referred to him as the “savior of my life.”

Throughout the game, Hamlin also engaged in conversation with Miami Dolphins quarterback Tua Tagovailoa. In a display of sportsmanship and genuine concern, Tagovailoa asked, “How are you feeling, babe?” Hamlin encouraged Tagovailoa and his team to continue their efforts, wishing them luck and good health.

An Inspiring Return to the Field

Hamlin’s resilience shone during the game, as he took part in special teams, participating in the majority of kickoffs and punts. The 25-year-old athlete, who revealed in April that his cardiac arrest was a result of commotio cordis, proved that he was fully cleared for his football career.