Are you a budding gardener looking to enhance your tomato patch? Look no further as we present to you the ultimate guide to the "8 Best Tomato Plants for 2023." In this comprehensive exploration, we will introduce you to a carefully curated selection of tomato varieties that are expected to thrive in the upcoming year. Whether you are seeking tomatoes for their exceptional flavor, disease resistance, or unique characteristics, our expert recommendations will ensure a bountiful harvest and a mouth-watering taste. Get ready to elevate your gardening game with these top tomato picks for 2023.
Overall Score: 7/10
Grow big, healthy, and delicious Better Boy tomatoes with Clovers Better Boy Tomato Plants. These premium plants come ready to grow, standing 4 to 8 inches tall in 4-inch pots. They are non-GMO and have no neonicotinoids. Enjoy a season-long harvest of succulent, juicy, and meaty tomatoes that are perfect for slicing, salsas, sauces, and canning. These indeterminate plants produce tomatoes until frost, and they benefit from caging or staking. Whether you have a small space, balcony, patio, or large garden, you can plant these tomatoes in any US Zone. With fast priority shipping and careful packaging, Clovers Better Boy Tomato Plants arrive in excellent condition in an exclusive, eco-friendly box. Start growing your own delicious tomatoes with this high-quality plant.
- Two (2) large live plants
- 4" to 8" tall plants in 4" pots
- Non-GMO, no neonicotinoids
- Guinness World record holder for highest yielding tomato plant
- Indeterminate variety that produces tomatoes until frost
- Grown in the Midwest
- Can be planted in any US Zone
- Fast priority shipping
- Includes CLOVERS GARDEN copyrighted Quick Start Planting Guide
- Color: Red
- Healthy plants
- Well packaged and quickly shipped
- Season-long harvest of tasty tomatoes
- One of the plants arrived damaged
- One of the plants did not survive
- Price is a little high compared to local stores
Clovers Better Boy Tomato Plants are a great choice for tomato enthusiasts who want to grow their own delicious tomatoes. These live plants arrive in excellent condition and are ready to grow right away. With a season-long harvest and the ability to produce tomatoes until frost, you can enjoy fresh tomatoes all summer long. The provided Quick Start Planting Guide ensures that you have all the information you need to successfully cultivate these plants. While the price may be a little high compared to local stores, the quality and convenience of having these plants delivered to your doorstep make it worth it. Start your own tomato garden with Clovers Better Boy Tomato Plants and enjoy the taste of homegrown tomatoes.
Overall Score: 7.5/10
Grow big, meaty, and delicious beefsteak tomatoes with these two live plants. They can reach up to 2 pounds in size and are perfect for burgers, sandwiches, or canning. These plants are easy to grow and resistant to cracking and common tomato issues. Grown in the Midwest, they can be planted in any US Zone and are suitable for containers, small spaces, balconies, patios, or large gardens. They benefit from caging or staking and are treated as a tender annual in colder zones. With fast priority shipping and careful packaging, the plants arrive quickly and in great condition. Enjoy a beautiful and bountiful harvest of beefsteak tomatoes!
- Two large live plants in 4" pots
- Big, bright red, meaty tomatoes up to 2 pounds
- Easy to grow and resistant to cracking
- Suitable for any US Zone and various planting spaces
- Fast priority shipping and 100% satisfaction guarantee
- Color: Red
- Healthy and well-packed plants
- Suitable for different types of gardens and spaces
- Grows big and delicious beefsteak tomatoes
- Resistant to cracking and common tomato issues
- Fast shipping and eco-friendly packaging
- Some plants arrived in rough shape due to transit
- Not heat-tolerant, may require extra care in hot climates
- Shipping speed could be improved
If you’re a tomato lover, these beefsteak tomato plants are a great choice. They arrive healthy and ready to grow, with the potential to produce big, juicy, and delicious tomatoes. Whether you have a large garden or limited space like a balcony or patio, these plants can thrive. With their resistance to cracking and common tomato problems, you can enjoy a season-long harvest. Just keep in mind that they may require extra care in hot climates and the shipping speed could be better. Overall, these beefsteak tomato plants offer a satisfying gardening experience and the reward of tasty homegrown tomatoes.
Overall Score: 7.2/10
The Heirloom Cherokee Purple Tomato Plant is a top-notch choice for all tomato lovers. With its great taste and high yields, this indeterminate plant will surely impress. It produces 10-12 ounce fruits with exceptional flavor, perfect for adding to salads or enjoying on their own. This plant is shipped immediately, ensuring it arrives fresh and ready to thrive. With a growing period of 80-90 days, you'll be delighted with the colorful harvest of green, pink, and purple tomatoes. Don't miss out on the opportunity to grow this stunning plant in your garden.
- Indeterminate 80-90 days
- 10-12 ounce fruits
- Great flavor
- Great for salads
- Immediate Shipping
- Color: Green, Pink, Purple
- Delicious flavor
- High yields
- Variety of colors
- Some plants arrived wilted
- Small plant size
- Low survival rate
Despite a few issues with arrival and survival rate, the Heirloom Cherokee Purple Tomato Plant is an excellent choice for tomato enthusiasts. Its flavorful fruits, impressive yields, and variety of colors make it a standout addition to any garden. While there may be some variability in plant quality and size, the potential rewards of a bountiful harvest are well worth it. With proper care and attention, this plant will surely deliver delicious tomatoes that will enhance your culinary creations. Experience the delight of growing your own tomatoes with the Heirloom Cherokee Purple Tomato Plant.
Overall Score: 7.5/10
The Adjustable Tomato Plant Support Cages are a versatile and durable solution for supporting and protecting your plants. Made of rustproof metal with a high-quality plastic coating, these cages are built to last. With a 2-section design, the stake height can be extended to 36 inches, providing ample support for your tomato plants. The adjustable plant support rings have a maximum diameter of 12 inches, allowing you to customize the size to meet your specific needs. These cages are easy to assemble and promote healthy growth by keeping your plants upright. They are suitable for use with tomato plants, vine plants, climbing plants, potted plants, and more. However, they are best suited for determinate varieties due to their size. Overall, these cages are a great option for supporting your plants and keeping them healthy and strong.
- Rustproof and durable design
- 2-section stake for adjustable height
- Adjustable plant support rings
- Promotes healthy growth and prevents falls
- Suitable for various types of plants
- Color: Green
- Dimension: 17.72Lx13.78Wx1.57H
- Size: 4 Pcs
- Rustproof and durable construction
- Easy to assemble and adjust
- Promotes healthy plant growth
- Versatile for different plant types
- Not suitable for indeterminate tomato varieties
- Some plastic parts may be flimsy
- May require additional support for heavy crops
The Adjustable Tomato Plant Support Cages are a reliable and cost-effective choice for gardeners looking to provide sturdy support for their plants. While they may not be suitable for indeterminate tomato varieties, they excel in supporting determinate varieties and other climbing plants. The adjustable design and rustproof construction make them easy to assemble, adjust, and reuse. With their ability to promote healthy plant growth and prevent falls, these cages are a valuable addition to any garden. Despite some minor concerns about the durability of certain plastic parts, the overall performance and versatility of these cages make them a recommended option for both outdoor and indoor plant enthusiasts.
Overall Score: 7/10
The LEOBRO 2 Pack Plant Support Cage is a versatile solution for supporting small to medium-sized plants and climbing plants. Made of durable steel with a rust-resistant plastic coating, these plant stakes are weather-resistant and long-lasting. The 3 adjustable rings can be moved to satisfy the specific support needs of your plants. With a graceful green finish and sharp bottom end, these plant supporters blend seamlessly into your garden. They are easy to set up and store, and provide aesthetic appeal while keeping your plants upright and protected. However, some customers have found them to be too small for larger plants and have mentioned that the pieces tend to slip around. Overall, with its affordable price and functionality for small plants, the LEOBRO Plant Support Cage is a good option for gardeners on a budget.
- Set of 2pcs Small Plant Cages
- Versatile plant supports for small to medium-sized plants and climbing plants
- Made of durable steel with rust-resistant plastic coating
- 3 adjustable rings to satisfy specific support needs
- Graceful green finish and sharp bottom end for easy installation
- Color: Green
- Size: 17.7”H×5.48”D-6.18”D-6.89”D
- Durable and weather-resistant construction
- Affordable alternative to traditional wire cages
- Versatile support for various small plants
- Easy to set up and store
- Blends seamlessly with plants
- Too small for larger, heavier plants
- Pieces tend to slip around
- Limited stability compared to regular cages
The LEOBRO Plant Support Cage is a budget-friendly option for supporting small plants in your garden. While they may lack the sturdiness and stability of traditional cages, they offer a decent level of support for smaller and lighter plants. If you’re working with a tight budget or need support for your small tomato plants, herbs, or flowers, these cages can serve your needs. However, if you have larger or heavier plants, you may want to consider alternative options. Overall, the LEOBRO Plant Support Cage provides aesthetic appeal, easy installation, and reliable support for small garden plants.
Overall Score: 8/10
The Clovers Garden Sweet 100 Tomato Plants are two large live plants that are ready to grow. These premium tomato plants are 4" to 8" tall and come in 4" pots. They are non-GMO and do not contain neonicotinoids. The Sweet 100 Tomato Plants produce tomatoes by the hundreds, known for their sugary sweet flavor. They are delicious for eating straight off the vine or for cooking and freezing. These plants have a season-long harvest and grow on huge plants that can reach up to 10 feet tall. They can be grown in any US Zone and are suitable for containers, small spaces, balconies, patios, or large gardens. The plants benefit from caging or staking and are a great choice for Zones 9 and colder. The product includes fast priority shipping, careful packaging, and a 100% satisfaction guarantee.
- TWO (2) LARGE LIVE PLANTS – big, healthy, ready to grow, premium tomato plants, 4” to 8” tall plants, in 4” pots. NON GMO No Neonicotinoids
- GROW SWEET 100 TOMOTOES. This easy-to-grow plant produces tomatoes by the hundreds! Commonly referred to as vine candy due to their sugary sweet flavor, these tomatoes are delicious right off the vine but also great for cooking and freezing
- SEASON LONG HARVEST. A true workhorse in the cherry tomato family. 10x Root Development means these plants grow stronger right from the start. These tomatoes grow abundantly on huge plants that reach up to 10-feet tall
- GROWN IN THE MIDWEST. Plant in any US Zone. Plant in containers, small spaces, balconies, patios or large gardens. Benefits from caging or staking. Treat as a tender annual in Zones 9 and colder
- FAST PRIORITY SHIPPING. Careful Packaging. 100% SATISFACTION GUARANTEE. Your fresh plants arrive quickly in our exclusive, eco-friendly, 100% recyclable box. Includes our CLOVERS GARDEN copyrighted Quick Start Planting Guide
- Color: Green
- Large, healthy plants
- Produces tomatoes by the hundreds
- Season-long harvest
- Suitable for any US Zone
- Fast shipping and careful packaging
- May require caging or staking
- Treated as a tender annual in colder zones
The Clovers Garden Sweet 100 Tomato Plants are a fantastic choice for tomato enthusiasts. With their large, healthy, and ready-to-grow plants, you can enjoy an abundant harvest of sugary sweet tomatoes. Their versatility allows them to be grown in various spaces, making them suitable for any gardener. The fast shipping and satisfaction guarantee ensure that you’ll have a positive experience with this product. The only downside may be the need for caging or staking, but the benefits outweigh this minor inconvenience. Overall, these tomato plants are a great addition to gardens, balconies, or patios, promising huge yields and delicious flavors.
Overall Score: 8/10
The Clovers Garden La Roma Red Tomato Plants offer two live plants that come in 3.5" pots and are each 5"-7" tall. These tomato plants feature bright red fruits and are ideal for growing in your own garden. With a customer rating of 4.1/5, this product has received positive reviews for its fast delivery, healthy plants, and bountiful harvest. However, some customers have experienced issues with the size of the plants upon arrival and their overall growth. Overall, the Clovers Garden La Roma Red Tomato Plants are a great choice for tomato enthusiasts looking to enjoy fresh and delicious tomatoes from their own backyard.
- Two (2) live tomato plants
- Each plant is 5"-7" tall in 3.5" pots
- Bright red fruits
- Ideal for growing in your own garden
- Color: Red
- Fast delivery
- Healthy plants
- Bountiful harvest
- Size of plants may be inconsistent
- Some plants may not grow well
The Clovers Garden La Roma Red Tomato Plants provide gardeners with the opportunity to grow their own delicious tomatoes. Despite some size discrepancies and growth issues, the majority of customers have been pleased with the fast delivery, healthy plants, and abundant harvest. With a customer rating of 4.1/5, these live tomato plants offer a convenient and reliable option for tomato enthusiasts. Whether you’re a seasoned gardener or just starting out, the Clovers Garden La Roma Red Tomato Plants are a great choice for adding fresh and flavorful tomatoes to your meals.
Overall Score: 8/10
The Plant Support Tomato Cages for Garden is a set of 4 adjustable plant stakes made of durable steel with a rust-resistant plastic coating. These cages are perfect for supporting small plants, such as tomatoes or flowers, and can prevent them from falling over or sprawling out. The plant support cages feature movable hooks and three adjustable rings, providing better support for your plants. They are easy to use, store, and reuse. Each package includes a roll of garden twist tie to help you secure your plants on the stakes. With a smooth and green appearance, these plant cages add beauty to your garden. Please note that they are not suitable for larger plants. Overall, they are a great investment for any avid gardener.
- Durable and rust-resistant steel construction
- Versatile plant support for all types of plants
- Easy to use and store, with stackable design
- Adjustable rings for better plant support
- Includes a roll of garden twist tie
- Suitable for small plants
- Color: Green
- Size: 4 Pack 18 Inch
- Durable and rust-resistant
- Versatile for all types of plants
- Easy to use and store
- Adjustable rings for better support
- Includes garden twist tie
- Not suitable for larger plants
- Some customers found them small
The Plant Support Tomato Cages for Garden are a reliable and versatile option for supporting small plants in your garden. With their durable construction and adjustable rings, they provide the necessary support to keep your plants upright and healthy. The included garden twist tie makes it easy to secure your plants to the stakes. Although they are not suitable for larger plants, they are an excellent investment for those with smaller garden varieties. Overall, these plant cages offer a practical and aesthetically pleasing solution to keep your plants organized and flourishing.
Tomato Plant Buyer's Guide
Tomatoes are a delicious and versatile fruit that can be grown right in your own backyard. If you're thinking about starting your own tomato garden, you've come to the right place. This buyer's guide will provide you with all the information you need to choose the perfect tomato plant.
Things to Consider
When selecting a tomato plant, there are several important factors to keep in mind:
- Variety: There are countless varieties of tomatoes available, each with its own unique characteristics. Consider factors such as size, flavor, and growth habit to determine which variety suits your preferences.
- Growing Conditions: Tomatoes thrive in full sun, so make sure you have a location in your garden that receives at least six hours of direct sunlight per day. Additionally, consider your climate and choose a tomato plant that is suited for your region.
- Space: Determine the amount of space you have available for your tomato plant. Different varieties have different growth habits, such as determinate (bushy, compact) or indeterminate (vining). Plan accordingly to ensure your plant has enough room to grow.
- Disease Resistance: Some tomato plants are bred to be more resistant to common diseases such as blight and wilt. If disease is a concern in your area, look for varieties with good disease resistance.
- Purpose: Consider how you plan to use your tomatoes. Are you looking for slicing tomatoes for sandwiches or cherry tomatoes for salads? Determining the purpose will help you select the right size and flavor profile.
Tomato Plant Varieties
To help you navigate the vast world of tomato plants, here are some popular varieties and their characteristics:
- *Beefsteak*: Known for their large size and juicy flesh, beefsteak tomatoes are perfect for slicing and making flavorful sandwiches.
- *Cherry*: These small, bite-sized tomatoes are loved for their sweetness and are perfect for snacking, adding to salads, or as a colorful garnish.
- *Roma*: Roma tomatoes are known for their firmness and low water content, making them ideal for sauces, canning, and drying.
- *Heirloom*: Heirloom tomatoes come in a variety of sizes, shapes, and colors, offering unique flavors and a touch of nostalgia.
- *Grape*: Grape tomatoes are small, oblong-shaped, and have a sweet-tart flavor, making them a favorite for salads, roasting, and snacking.
How to Plant
Once you've decided on the perfect tomato plant, it's time to get your hands in the soil. Here's a step-by-step guide on how to plant your tomato:
- Prepare the Soil: Tomato plants prefer well-drained soil with a pH level between 6.0 and 6.8. Amend your soil with organic matter and ensure it is loose and friable for better root development.
- Dig a Hole: Dig a hole that is roughly twice the size of the root ball of the tomato plant. Remove any rocks or debris from the hole.
- Plant the Tomato: Gently remove the tomato plant from its container and place it in the hole, ensuring that the top of the root ball is level with or slightly above the soil surface.
- Backfill and Mulch: Backfill the hole with soil, gently firming it around the plant. Apply a layer of organic mulch around the base of the plant to conserve moisture and suppress weeds.
- Water and Stake: Water the newly planted tomato thoroughly to settle the soil around the roots. If necessary, stake or cage the tomato plant to provide support as it grows.
Tomato Plant Care
Now that your tomato plant is in the ground, it's important to provide it with the care it needs to thrive:
- Watering: Tomatoes require regular watering, aiming for about 1-2 inches per week. Water deeply and evenly to encourage deep root growth. Avoid overwatering, as it can lead to disease and root rot.
- Fertilizing: Apply a balanced, slow-release fertilizer according to the package instructions at planting time. Additionally, you can provide extra doses of fertilizer during the growing season to promote healthy growth and fruit production.
- Pruning: Indeterminate varieties benefit from pruning to remove suckers (new growth appearing in the crotch between the stem and branches). Pruning helps redirect energy into fruit production.
- Disease Prevention: Monitor your tomato plant for signs of disease and address any issues promptly. Rotate tomato crops yearly, practice good sanitation, and provide adequate airflow to minimize disease risk.
- Harvesting: Tomatoes are ready to harvest when they are fully colored, plump, and firm. Gently twist or cut them from the vine to avoid damage. Enjoy the fruits of your labor!
Frequently Asked Questions about 8 Best Tomato Plant for 2023
Plant tomatoes after the last frost date in your area when the soil has warmed, typically in spring.
Depending on the variety, it takes approximately 55 to 85 days from transplanting to the first ripe fruit.
Yes, tomatoes thrive in full sun and require at least six hours of direct sunlight per day.
Yes, many varieties of tomatoes can be successfully grown in containers as long as they have proper drainage and support.
Fertilize tomatoes at planting time and then as needed throughout the growing season, following the instructions on the fertilizer package.
Implement organic pest control methods such as companion planting, using row covers, or employing natural predators like ladybugs to keep pests at bay.
Harvest green tomatoes before the first frost and allow them to ripen indoors. Store them at room temperature and keep an eye on them to prevent overripening.