The Plot of Good Time
Good Time is a gritty and intense crime thriller directed by the Safdie brothers, Benny and Josh. The film follows the story of Connie Nikas, played by Robert Pattinson, and his mentally challenged brother, Nick, portrayed by Benny Safdie himself. When a bank robbery goes awry, Nick is arrested and Connie embarks on a desperate and dangerous journey to secure his brother’s release.
The film unfolds over the course of one night, as Connie navigates the gritty underbelly of New York City to find the funds needed to free his brother. As he becomes tangled in a web of violence and criminal activities, Connie’s choices have far-reaching consequences that lead to unexpected twists and turns.
With a relentless pace and a sense of urgency, Good Time provides a gripping portrayal of a desperate man willing to do anything to save his loved one. Connie’s determination and resourcefulness drive the narrative forward, as he encounters a series of eccentric and unpredictable characters along the way.
Through a combination of suspenseful sequences and emotionally charged moments, the film delves into themes of family, sacrifice, and the lengths one will go to protect those they care about. It also explores the consequences of selfish actions and the price one must pay for their choices.
The Safdie brothers’ direction immerses the audience in the chaotic and frenetic world of Good Time. The handheld camerawork and close-up shots create an intimate and raw atmosphere, amplifying the tension and the sense of being immersed in the unfolding events.
The screenplay, co-written by the Safdie brothers, captures the gritty reality of the characters and setting, presenting a realistic and unfiltered portrayal of life on the fringes. The dialogue is natural and authentic, further enhancing the film’s immersive quality.
Good Time is a captivating and dark exploration of morality, redemption, and the lengths one will go to protect their kin. It keeps viewers on the edge of their seats, immersed in the gripping narrative until the very end.
Key Characters in Good Time
Good Time features a compelling cast of characters, each playing a crucial role in driving the narrative forward and adding depth to the film’s exploration of desperation and survival.
1. Connie Nikas, played by Robert Pattinson: Connie is the main protagonist of the story, a charismatic, cunning, yet deeply flawed individual. He is determined to rescue his mentally challenged brother, Nick, from the consequences of a failed bank robbery. Pattinson delivers a mesmerizing performance, showcasing Connie’s relentless drive and the moral ambiguity of his actions.
2. Nick Nikas, portrayed by Benny Safdie: Benny Safdie’s portrayal of Nick, a young man with developmental disabilities, is both poignant and nuanced. Despite his limited dialogue, Safdie conveys Nick’s vulnerability and innocence, making him a sympathetic character caught in his brother’s frantic quest.
3. Corey Ellman, played by Jennifer Jason Leigh: Corey is Connie’s girlfriend and accomplice, a troubled woman drawn into his desperate schemes. Leigh brings complexity to her character, showcasing Corey’s loyalty and her own flawed nature, adding layers to the film’s exploration of relationships under pressure.
4. Ray, portrayed by Buddy Duress: Ray is an unpredictable and volatile character who becomes entangled in Connie’s plans. Duress delivers a compelling performance, perfectly capturing Ray’s erratic behavior and his own desperate circumstances.
5. Crystal, played by Taliah Webster: Crystal is a young girl who inadvertently gets caught up in Connie’s actions. Webster brings authenticity to the role, highlighting Crystal’s innocence and the impact of the dangerous world she becomes unwittingly involved in.
These key characters, portrayed by a talented ensemble cast, contribute to the film’s gritty realism and the audience’s investment in the story. Their interactions and personal journeys add depth to Good Time and shed light on the morally ambiguous choices made in extreme circumstances.
With strong performances and complex character dynamics, Good Time immerses viewers in the lives of these individuals, exposing their vulnerabilities, strengths, and the consequences of their actions.
Directing and Visuals in Good Time
The direction and visual style of Good Time, helmed by the Safdie brothers, Benny and Josh, play a significant role in immersing viewers in the gritty and chaotic world of the film. The combination of their unique vision and visual storytelling techniques adds depth and intensity to the narrative.
The Safdie brothers’ direction creates a sense of urgency and immediacy throughout the film. They employ a handheld camera approach, putting the audience right in the midst of the action, capturing the frenetic energy of the characters and their surroundings. This raw and intimate cinematography style enhances the realism of the story, drawing viewers into the gritty underbelly of New York City.
The use of close-up shots in Good Time intensifies the emotional impact of key moments. By focusing on facial expressions and capturing the subtle nuances of the actors’ performances, the directors convey the characters’ inner turmoil and desperation. This technique enables viewers to deeply connect with the protagonists and understand their motivations, heightening the emotional stakes of the film.
The Safdie brothers also employ a dynamic and vibrant color palette, enhancing the visual experience of Good Time. The neon-lit streets of New York create a mesmerizing backdrop, reflecting the chaotic and morally ambiguous world the characters inhabit. The colorful lighting choices not only contribute to the film’s atmospheric tone but also symbolize the blurred boundaries between good and bad.
Sound design and music selection are crucial elements that enhance the overall mood and tension in Good Time. The pulsating and hypnotic score, composed by Oneohtrix Point Never, amplifies the characters’ frenzied journey. Combined with the meticulously crafted sound effects, it creates a sense of unease and suspense, immersing viewers deeper into the world of the narrative.
The Safdie brothers’ meticulous attention to detail is evident in their direction, establishing a cohesive and immersive visual world in Good Time. Their creative choices, from the handheld camerawork to the vibrant color palette and carefully curated music, make the film a visually stimulating experience that resonates with viewers long after the credits roll.
Exploring the Themes of Good Time
Good Time delves into several thought-provoking themes, adding depth and complexity to its gripping narrative. Through its intense and morally ambiguous storyline, the film explores the following themes:
1. Sacrifice and Family: At its core, Good Time is a story about the lengths one is willing to go to protect and save their loved ones. Connie’s unwavering commitment to his mentally challenged brother, Nick, drives the film’s action. The sacrifices made in the name of family are examined, raising questions about loyalty, responsibility, and the blurred lines between right and wrong.
2. Morality and Desperation: Good Time confronts the audience with morally ambiguous characters and their choices in desperate situations. It raises questions about whether the end justifies the means and challenges traditional notions of right and wrong. The film explores the consequences of impulsive actions driven by desperation and the moral gray areas it exposes.
3. Redemption and Personal Responsibility: The film examines the possibility of redemption and the consequences of one’s actions. It forces viewers to question whether characters like Connie can truly find redemption or if their choices have irrevocable consequences. Good Time suggests that personal responsibility and the choices one makes shape their own path to redemption, blurring the lines between forgiveness and punishment.
4. Class and Social Commentary: The Safdie brothers utilize the gritty and realistic setting of Good Time to offer a commentary on social and economic disparities. The characters inhabit a world on the fringes of society, highlighting the struggles and desperation that comes with living in a marginalized environment. Through their experiences, the film explores themes of privilege, inequality, and the impact of poverty on individuals’ choices.
5. Identity and Personal Agency: Good Time examines the concept of identity and the choices individuals make in defining who they are. Connie’s actions and his desperate attempts to save his brother raise questions about individual agency and the extent to which one can control their own destiny when faced with external circumstances and societal constraints.
By exploring these compelling themes, Good Time transcends the crime thriller genre, sparking meaningful discussions about moral choices, personal responsibility, and the lengths individuals will go to protect what matters most to them. The film offers a rich and thought-provoking narrative that lingers in the minds of viewers long after the credits roll.
Popularity and Critical Reception of Good Time
Since its release, Good Time has garnered significant attention and praise from both audiences and critics alike. The film’s unique storytelling, strong performances, and immersive atmosphere have contributed to its growing popularity.
Good Time received critical acclaim for its gritty and intense narrative, earning an impressive 92% approval rating on Rotten Tomatoes. Critics praised the Safdie brothers’ direction, commending the film’s raw and immersive depiction of the characters’ struggles and the frenetic energy they bring to the screen. The performances, particularly Robert Pattinson’s portrayal of Connie, were also widely applauded for their depth and authenticity.
The film’s innovative visual style and sound design were recognized as key elements in enhancing the overall viewing experience. The Safdie brothers’ use of handheld camerawork, vibrant color palette, and pulsating score added to the tension and atmosphere of the film, leaving a lasting impression on audiences.
In addition to critical acclaim, Good Time has also gained popularity among cinephiles and fans of the crime thriller genre. Its gripping narrative and morally complex characters have resonated with audiences, eliciting strong emotional responses and sparking discussions about the film’s themes and the choices made by its characters.
Good Time’s success extended to the festival circuit, where it received accolades and nominations. The film premiered at the Cannes Film Festival in 2017, where it was hailed for its originality and compelling storytelling. It went on to win the Soundtrack Award at the 2017 Cannes Film Festival Critics’ Week.
The film’s popularity and critical reception have solidified Good Time as a notable entry in contemporary cinema. It has appealed to audiences seeking a gripping and thought-provoking crime thriller that pushes the boundaries of the genre.
Overall, Good Time’s combination of strong performances, immersive direction, and compelling narrative has contributed to its status as a critically acclaimed and popular film among both audiences and critics.
Awards and Nominations for Good Time
Good Time, directed by the Safdie brothers and starring Robert Pattinson, has received recognition for its gripping storytelling, outstanding performances, and innovative filmmaking techniques. The film has garnered several awards and nominations, solidifying its place as a compelling and critically acclaimed piece of cinema.
At the 2017 Cannes Film Festival, Good Time received critical acclaim and was nominated for the Palme d’Or, the festival’s highest honor. While it didn’t win the top prize, the film stood out among the competition, garnering praise for its originality and immersive storytelling.
Additionally, Good Time received the Soundtrack Award at the Cannes Film Festival Critics’ Week. The pulsating and hypnotic score, composed by Oneohtrix Point Never, was celebrated for its contribution to the film’s atmosphere and intensity.
Furthermore, the performances in Good Time were widely recognized and applauded. Robert Pattinson’s portrayal of Connie Nikas garnered him nominations for several prestigious acting awards. He received the Pattinson earned a nomination for Best Male Lead at the Independent Spirit Awards, showcasing his remarkable transformation in the role.
In terms of critical organizations, Good Time was recognized by the National Board of Review, which awarded it the Top Ten Independent Films of 2017. The film was also acknowledged by the American Film Institute, securing a spot on their list of the Top Ten Movies of the Year.
The Safdie brothers’ direction and the film’s visual and technical aspects received praise as well. Good Time was nominated for Best Editing and Best Cinematography at the Independent Spirit Awards, which highlighted the skillful execution of the film’s intense and gritty visual style.
Although the film didn’t amass numerous award wins, its nominations and critical recognition have solidified its reputation as a compelling and creatively crafted crime thriller. Good Time’s unique storytelling, outstanding performances, and technical merits have resonated with audiences and critics alike, establishing it as a standout film in its genre.
Where to Watch Good Time
If you’re eager to dive into the intense and gripping world of Good Time, there are several platforms where you can watch the film. Here are some options to stream or rent Good Time:
1. Netflix: Good Time is available to stream on Netflix. If you already have a Netflix subscription, you can easily access the film and enjoy it from the comfort of your own home.
2. Amazon Prime Video: Good Time is also available to stream on Amazon Prime Video. If you have a Prime membership, you can watch the film as part of your subscription. Alternatively, you can rent or purchase the digital copy of the film from the Amazon Prime Video platform.
3. Hulu: Another streaming option for Good Time is Hulu. With a Hulu subscription, you can stream the film and immerse yourself in its intense narrative and compelling performances.
4. DVD or Blu-ray: If you prefer physical copies, you can purchase the DVD or Blu-ray version of Good Time from various online retailers or local movie stores. This allows you to have a permanent copy of the film and enjoy it whenever you wish.
When looking to watch Good Time, you can also check with your local cinema or independent theater, as they may occasionally screen the film for limited engagements. This provides a unique opportunity to experience the film on the big screen, allowing you to fully immerse yourself in the atmospheric visuals and intense storytelling.
Keep in mind that availability may vary depending on your location and the streaming platforms available in your area. It’s always recommended to check the availability on your preferred streaming service or consult with local movie providers to ensure you can access Good Time in the most convenient and suitable way for you.
Whether you choose to stream it on Netflix, Amazon Prime Video, or Hulu, or opt for a physical copy, Good Time offers a captivating and intense viewing experience that will keep you on the edge of your seat.
Tips for an Enjoyable Viewing Experience of Good Time
As you prepare to embark on the intense journey that is Good Time, here are some tips to ensure you have an enjoyable and engaging viewing experience:
1. Create the Right Atmosphere: Set the mood for the film by dimming the lights and eliminating distractions. Good Time is a gritty and intense crime thriller that thrives in a tense and immersive atmosphere. By minimizing distractions, you can fully immerse yourself in the film’s world and appreciate its gripping narrative.
2. Pay Attention to the Details: Good Time is a film that rewards close attention to detail. From the performances to the visual storytelling techniques, there are subtleties that contribute to the overall impact of the story. Take note of the visual cues, character nuances, and dialogue to fully appreciate the layers and complexities of the film.
3. Embrace the Raw Realism: Good Time offers a realistic and unfiltered depiction of its characters and their struggles. Embrace the grittiness and morally complex nature of the world portrayed in the film. This raw realism helps to elevate the intensity and impact of the story, providing a thought-provoking viewing experience.
4. Appreciate the Sound Design: The soundtrack and sound design play a crucial role in Good Time. The pulsating score, composed by Oneohtrix Point Never, adds to the tension and atmosphere of the film. Pay attention to how the music heightens the emotions on screen and amplifies the intensity of the unfolding events.
5. Reflect on the Themes: Good Time explores themes of sacrifice, morality, redemption, and identity. Take the time to reflect on these themes as the story unfolds. Consider the choices made by the characters and the consequences they face. This reflection adds depth to the viewing experience and allows you to engage with the film on a deeper level.
6. Discuss and Share: After viewing Good Time, consider discussing the film with friends or joining online discussions. Sharing your thoughts, interpretations, and reactions can enhance your appreciation of the film and provide new perspectives on its themes and narrative. It’s a great way to further explore the complexity of the story and connect with others who have experienced the film.
By implementing these tips, you can fully immerse yourself in the gripping world of Good Time, appreciating its intense storytelling, remarkable performances, and thought-provoking themes. Enjoy the journey and embrace the emotional rollercoaster that awaits you!